Real First Name
    Mike
    Camera
    Canon
    Can Others Edit My Photos
    Yes
    Likes Given

Brazoria County Fair - Photo Contest

If anyone is interested in being a part of the contest time is running out - the deadline is this Sat.

Here are the rules - (NOTE: Only 5 entries allowed this year instead of the past 6) The rest of the rules are pretty much the same.

Also these rules and official entry cards can be downloaded and printed out in a PDF from at the Brazoria County Fair's Website: http://www.bcfa.org/forms_1.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PHOTOGRAPHIC ART EXHIBIT
    SCHOLARSHIP SPONSORED BY TEXAS GULF BANK
    Chairmen-
    Joe Stepchinsky & Gina Stepchinsky

ENTRY FEE PER EXHIBITOR NOT PER EXHIBIT: YOUTH 18 AND UNDER $1.00 – ADULTS 19 TO 59 YEARS $5.00 – SENIORS 60 YEARS AND OLDER $1.00
    Entry Deadline: Saturday, October 8, 2005
    Arrival Time: Saturday, October 8, 2005, 9:00 am-4:00 pm
    Place: Hall of Exhibits Building
    Judging: Sunday, October 9, 2005, 1:00 pm
    Awards: Saturday, October 15, 2005, 4:00 pm
    Release Date: Sunday, October 23, 2005, 10:00 pm - 2:00 pm
    OFFICIAL ENTRY
    Registration card may be picked up at the Fair Office or may be received by calling (979) 849-6416.

RULES
    1. Only residents of Brazoria County are eligible to submit entries. Camera work must be the work of the person submitting. The work must not have been entered before.

2. Persons submitting entries are responsible for obtaining permission and model releases from all recognizable persons in their photographs.

3. No person shall be permitted to submit more than 5 entries. If the number of entries should exceed the display space, the entries not displayed shall be the lowest scoring. However, each entrant will have at least one entry displayed.

4. All entries must be accompanied by an official entry blank available from the Brazoria County Fairgrounds office.

5. No print smaller than 8" x 10" or larger than 16" x 20".

6. Photos must be mounted on any color of 16" x 20" foam board (no poster board). All entries must be mounted
    vertically with the 20” dimension being the vertical height and the 16” being the width of the entry.

7. Exhibitor’s name should not appear on the front of the entry.

8. No glass or frames are allowed. Mats are allowed but must be of a size to fit an 8” X 10” or larger photo.

9. Entries accepted must remain for the duration of the Fair. Although reasonable care will be exercised, neither the Fair
    Association or the Photography Committee will be responsible for exhibits. All participants are subject to the general rules of the Fair Association, unless otherwise noted.

10. Judging - All photographs will be judged upon content, quality, originality, and composition. Decisions by the judges are final.
    NO ONE MAY BE PRESENT DURING JUDGING.

11. Photographic Display – The Photo Display category may be any combination of 3 to 5 photos depicting a place or event. All photos, which may be of varying sizes, should be mounted on one 16” X 20” foam board and will constitute one entry. Entries should include a brief description of place mounted on the front of display, time, and photo equipment used.

12. Digitally Enhanced – Any photos that have been digitally enhanced using computer software. Photos must be original work of exhibitor and exhibitor must do own computer work.

13. Scholarship - A photo scholarship shall be awarded to the senior in a Brazoria County High School who exhibits the best portfolio. The portfolio is to consist of five (5) prints, each vertically mounted on 16” X 20” foam board. Exception: Two Photo Displays allowed as part of 5 prints. Entrant must fill out scholarship application form, available at the fair office, which includes a teacher reference.

DIVISIONS
    Student - Anyone enrolled in a Brazoria County school, Kindergarten through 12th grade.

Amateur - Anyone who is a hobbyist photographer. Pictures may be developed and printed by the photographer or commercially.

Professional - Anyone who earns a substantial portion of their living performing photographic services. Professional
    entries may be processed and printed by the exhibitor or commercially.

CATEGORIES
    1. Weddings (professional only)
    2. Portraits
    3. Children
    4. Pets and Wildlife
    5. Sports
    6. Scenic
    7. Western/Agriculture
    8. Events
    9. General
    10. Photographic Display
    11. Black and White (all subjects)
    12. Digitally Enhanced

AWARDS
    Awards will be given to the entries as follows:

A. Ribbons
    1. First, Second, and Third
    2. Honorable Mention

B. Special Ribbons
    1. Best of Class (one in each category)
    2. Most Original (one in each category)
    3. Outstanding (as determined by judges)
    4. Portfolio Rosettes – All scholarship participants will receive a rosette with winner receiving a scholarship rosette.

C. Special Awards
    1. Members of the Photo Committee will decide on a Chairman’s Award for a photo of their choice.
    2. During the show visitors may vote for their top photos in the People’s Choice Awards. The five receiving the most
    votes will be designated as winners.

D. Best of Show
    Photos designated as Best of Class will be entered in the Best of Show competition. Judges will select a Best of
    Show winner for student, amateur, and professional divisions.

E. Scholarship
    A $400.00 scholarship will be awarded the high school senior who has the first place portfolio.

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates

Real First Name
    Jim
    Camera
    Canon
    No
    Likes Given
    Can I use you address to meet the residency requirements so I can submit some wildlife shots taken in Brazoria County?
    Jim
    Canon Equipment

Likes Given
    I'm in! Got my images in today . . .
    Donna Quarles
    Angleton, Texas
    20D

Real First Name
    Holly
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Ditto! Although I'm only entering one in childrens......Donna you've got the market on that one. :)
    Your Buddy Holly

Likes Given
    Accckkkkk! I'm a moron! I knew I was pushing deadline and wouldn't have time to get my images mounted so I just put a small white border and a black frame around the image and had it printed and mounted at the lab. Well 3 of my images are horizontal and I messed up and had them printed horizontal instead of centered on a vertical as the rules say you have to enter a 16x20 not a 20x16 - does that make sense??? So I rip the top layer off those mounted prints and have to rush today to see if I can get them re-mounted . . . . I'm a moron!
    Donna Quarles
    Angleton, Texas
    20D

Real First Name
    Holly
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    oh no! I did the same thing myself on one of mine...had it printed at 12" x 18" horizontally...Plantation House cropped the sides off of it for me so the 16" x 20" board could still be displayed vertically... gotta love those rules... My other horizontals were only 8 x 10's so they fit either way. Donna have you ever used Plantation House? I'm sure he could help you out with this. They have super great customer service and great prices.
    Your Buddy Holly

Likes Given
    Is Plantation House that framing place on Plantation/Dixie? I just ripped the print off the drymount board, it still had some ugly backing stuck to it, but Joe said he could just put a mat around it for me, can't mount it now though. So they may still be usable. I'll find out at 4pm today. I was REALLY surprised he could help me on such short notice. Never happened before ;)
    Donna Quarles
    Angleton, Texas
    20D

Real First Name
    Holly
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Yeah...that's part of the reason I was suggesting Plantation House. Joe can get a little gruff if he thinks you waited until the last minute.... ;) They are located behind HEB shopping center, off of Plantation.
    Your Buddy Holly

Real First Name
    Mike
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Victory
    Can I use you address to meet the residency requirements so I can submit some wildlife shots taken in Brazoria County?
    Come on down Jim I got family all over Brazoria County we will find an address for you!!!

Seriously

Real First Name
    Bryce
    Camera
    Canon EOS 7d
    Yes
    Likes Given
    You guys have the right idea...I haven't used them myself, but did get a royal tour of the place once, and you won't go wrong with Plantation House.

Sorry, not able to enter the county contest, what with work and all right now...middle of evaluations, been sick for 4 days, hurt my neck taking down storm window coverings...know the old saying "when it rains, it pours?" It might not have rained...but I sure got dumped on lately...
    Bryce Carleton Photographic
    Brazoria County Photographic Arts Club

EOS 7D, 10s, A2, 20D

Texas Photo Forum: The last place you'll ever need to post a photo again.

Likes Given
    So MIke - you got any connections to know when the results are in??? Anyone else here enter?
    Donna Quarles
    Angleton, Texas
    20D

Real First Name
    Holly
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Sorry, not able to enter the county contest, what with work and all right now...middle of evaluations, been sick for 4 days, hurt my neck taking down storm window coverings...know the old saying "when it rains, it pours?" It might not have rained...but I sure got dumped on lately...
    Sorry to hear that Bryce! Let me know if there is anything I can help with on my end.

And Donna, I have no clue when the results will be out. I can't remember from last year. Don't they call you if you get a big winner, so you can be there for the unveiling, or whatever they call it?
    Your Buddy Holly

Likes Given
    they called me last year and just asked me to be at the awards ceremony on the first Saturday of the Fair. THat I had won a big prize but didn't tell me what it was. Turned out to be a very nice plaque for Best of Class Pro Division. I don't know how it's calculated, maybe a point system for how your images placed or something.

I'm very curious to see how many pro photogs are in this year. Not many last year . . . .
    Donna Quarles
    Angleton, Texas
    20D

Real First Name
    Holly
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    I know some play the "photography isn't a SIGNIFICANT portion of my income" bit.... and enter amateur. I entered amateur last year, even though I had gotten paid to photograph one wedding (actually less than what it cost me to develop the film) so I guess I am guilty as well. I think if you present yourself as a professional and get paid more than "at cost" to shoot, that you should be in the pro division.
    Your Buddy Holly

Real First Name
    Holly
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    CONGRATULATIONS MIKE, CODY AND DONNA!!!
    Your Buddy Holly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast