Real First Name
    Lauren
    Camera
    Canon 50D
    Can Others Edit My Photos
    Yes
    Likes Given

Senior Yearbook headshots

Just starting out in senior portraits. Is it still mandatory to have a plain headshot for the yearbook? When I graduated there was certain rules you had to follow with the yearbook shot. I dont own a studio, so I just wonder how others get that yearbook shot, or if the rules changed and anything goes! Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates

Real First Name
    Abel
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    typically most schools have a contract with a photographer/studio to supply those. I believe they want them to be consistent and uniform...

maybe others can give a little more insight.
    Abel Longoria
    Check out the NEW Pixtus Photography Cheat Sheet!
    Support Pixtus by Purchasing Your Gear From: B&H Photo | Amazon | Adorama

Real First Name
    BE
    Camera
    SX70 Polaroid & Holga :)
    No
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    typically most schools have a contract with a photographer/studio to supply those. I believe they want them to be consistent and uniform...

maybe others can give a little more insight.
    That is true on most cases; however, I just heard of a school (not sure which one) that would accept anything. They made the change because the students wanted to put stuff like on their facebook pages.

I know of another that is considering two images for seniors. One from a professional photographer with the "consistent and uniform" look, and another that can be a casual and once again have the facebook look.

A sign of the times, and they want to show how times have changed.

I don't think this will last too long, because yearbook pages are printed in complete pages. Something like we used to call "gang printed". The entire layout for a page is printed with no alterations as far as color or density for individual images. If one image is green and the other is red, they will be that way in the yearbook.

Real First Name
    Charlotte
    Camera
    Nikon
    No
    Likes Given
    Don't worry about the yearbook shot when you book a senior. Those have been done by the contract studio, and most likely the kid didn't buy them. What they will probably want from you are personality shots, a cute headshot or head & shoulders for wallets, and possibly cap and gown. You can do it all in location shots if you have a plan.

Junior Member blue willow studios's Avatar
    Real First Name
    Lauren
    Camera
    Canon 50D
    Yes
    Likes Given
    thanks everyone. i figured times have changed but i didnt want to charge my client, do the whole shoot, and then they arent able to use any in the yearbook. I appreciate the feedback!

Real First Name
    BE
    Camera
    SX70 Polaroid & Holga :)
    No
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by csa View Post
    Don't worry about the yearbook shot when you book a senior. Those have been done by the contract studio, and most likely the kid didn't buy them. What they will probably want from you are personality shots, a cute headshot or head & shoulders for wallets, and possibly cap and gown. You can do it all in location shots if you have a plan.
    Studios that do the yearbook photograph also offer casuals (personality shots) at the same time. As far as purchasing the yearbook style, I can tell you that even though the kids may not want them, the parents do. Orders will usually be split about 50%; yearbook and casuals.

Contract photographers are extremely savvy as to what they need to do to get get orders. While many have a policy of no session fee, no order requirement for just a yearbook, they do offer upgrades where the senior can pay a nominal session charge and have outdoor shots. The big advantage contract photographers have is that they are able to get the customer in the door for the required yearbook shot. From that point on it is marketing, just like any other photography studio.

As I said, it depends on the school, but some have gotten away from the traditional head and shoulder shot for the yearbook anyway.

The best thing to do is check with the school and see what their policy is. Even if there is a contract photographer, some schools allow students to submit images from other photographers.
    Last edited by BenE; 06-16-2011 at 08:50 AM.