Real First Name
    Keith
    Camera
    Sony A99/A7/A900/A100IR/NEX-7
    Can Others Edit My Photos
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarfy View Post
    Looks like Leica is putting the M10 announcement off and, for now, planning to announce an M9 "Monochrome" that only shoots in B&W.

The upcoming Leica Monochrome rangefinder will have a M9 styled body | Leica News & Rumors
    That would actually be pretty cool. I don't have funds for an M9, yet alone a monochrome one, but still cool.
    "Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter". - Ansel Adams
    "If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera." ~Lewis Hine
    "No one cares how hard you worked...but they will notice if you didn't work hard enough." -Ctein

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates

Real First Name
    Keith
    Camera
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Today is the day!
    "Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter". - Ansel Adams
    "If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera." ~Lewis Hine
    "No one cares how hard you worked...but they will notice if you didn't work hard enough." -Ctein

Real First Name
    Keith
    Camera
    Yes
    Likes Given
    You beat me to it.

The X2 looks like the update the X1 needed badly thanks to the Fujifilm x100, but it would be tough if it come out at $2K again.

Real First Name
    Paul
    Camera
    Fuji XP1 and Nikon V1
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Everyone going to sell there cars to finance this new M9?
    Paul Chance, aChanceEncounter.com
    “A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.” Ansel Adams

Real First Name
    Keith
    Camera
    Yes
    Likes Given
    M9M as I am calling it: Leica M-Monochrom Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

Quote Originally Posted by DPreview
    Removing the color filter array from the front of a sensor has several advantages. There are certainly benefits in terms of noise, mainly because all the light hitting the sensor is available to be captured, rather than just one color being allowed through to each sensor location. But also, because noise isn't spread by a demosaicing process, the noise pattern doesn't appear to muddy detail. These two factors see the camera's maximum ISO increase to 10,000, rather than the M9's 2,500.

However, the biggest advantage is resolution - each captured pixel gives one output pixel, with none of the detail-blurring combining of neighboring data that demosaicing inevitably brings. As a result, the M-Monochrom immediately trumps even the low-pass-filter-less M9 for sharpness. Given the reputation of Leica lenses, this has immediate appeal.
    Sad that it still has the same lower res LCD on the rear.

Real First Name
    Peter
    Camera
    Canon 50d, XS
    Yes
    Likes Given
    I'm curious to the 50 f/2 that's almost as much a noticlux...
    50d gripped | Rebel XS gripped
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8 | Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS | 580EXII
    Bless Her Heart ORG

Real First Name
    Chris
    Camera
    Nikon
    No
    Likes Given
    Leica creates M9-P Hermès 18MP rangefinder special editions: Digital Photography Review

Also, this happened. $25k for the body only, $50k includes a 28/2, 50/0.95, and 90/2.
    ...Was that the primary buffer panel?
    500px | Twitter

Real First Name
    Keith
    Camera
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Preorders for most of the stuff are up at B&H and Adorama.

Real First Name
    Keith
    Camera
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Leica Monochrome reviews:
    Leica M Monochrom Review - Leica Forum Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Leica Forum Blog
    The Leica MONOCHROM Sensor has a different structure: As it doesn’t need to deliver color information, it delivers the full resolution of the sensor without any artefacts. The MONOCHROM Sensor has the same official resolution of 18 Megapixels as the Leica M9. But it should create a much better image quality:

A much higher detail resolution – as no interpolation with adjacent pixels is needed
    Higher sensitivity and thus less noise – as no color filter elements absorb light

If this is pure theory or if it results in better image quality – this is what we’ll find out in our field test.
    Video review: Leica M Monochrom Video Review - Leica Forum Blog

Real First Name
    Keith
    Camera
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Digital Rev says why the Leica M, in this case the M9:
    Why the Leica M is so unique - YouTube

Real First Name
    Keith
    Camera
    Yes
    Likes Given
    This shouldn't surprise any LL readers, but Reichmann got his hands on the Monochrome:
    Leica M9 Monochrom

Quote Originally Posted by Reichmann
    Let's get the poo pooing out of the way first. A lot of people simply are not going to get it. "It" being the need for an expensive digital M Leica that only shoots in B&W. That's OK. This camera then is simply not for you. So lighten up, and recognize that there are people for whom the rangefinder ethos and the monochrome aesthetic is a passion and a calling. There's nothing elitist going on, just a different mindset and sensibility than yours.

Real First Name
    Daniel
    Camera
    Nikon D700, F5, F2, FM2
    No
    Likes Given
    Why is the monochrom the same price as the M9.

Why not just get an m9 and do B&W conversion.

edit:
    perhaps the answer lies here:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica_m9_monochrom.shtml
    The Leica Monochrom M has none of these issues, because there is no Bayer array. Therefore actual resolution is higher that a Bayer sensor with the same number of pixels, and there is no possibility of either colour moire or related artifacting.
    Last edited by dmora; 05-11-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Real First Name
    Peter
    Camera
    Canon 50d, XS
    Yes
    Likes Given
    I don't get it but I can appreciate it.

If I ever get some money, I might rent a M9 with a 50 f2 and see how it goes.
    50d gripped | Rebel XS gripped
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8 | Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS | 580EXII
    Bless Her Heart ORG

Real First Name
    Keith
    Camera
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Another Leica M Monocrom review: May 10, Part 1: The Leica M-Monochrom review

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Thein
    There is no question that the MM out resolves the M9 – by exactly how much it’s hard to say (hint: come back and see the post I have planned for Sunday) – but the difference is similar to the difference between a sensor with a strong AA filter and one without; it’s almost as though there’s a layer of something between you and the image that’s been removed. The MM has a level of clarity and acuity at the pixel level that so far has only been seen on Foveon sensors; however, even those start to become a weak at ISO 800 and above. The MM maintains its acuity all the way through the maximum ISO, though above ISO 5000 noise dominates the microcontrast structure of the image.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast