Real First Name
    Bob
    Camera
    Canon EOS 7D;5d Mark II
    Can Others Edit My Photos
    Yes
    Likes Given

Canon 7D dead after firmware update. Canon says "corrosion"

A couple of weeks ago I updated my 7D to the new 2.0 firmware. The first show I fired I got an Err about being unable to communicate with the battery. I removed and replaced the battery and it seemed to work although I noticed that after autopower off it couldn't be turned back on unless I took the battery out and put it back in first. I did that a couple of times and the third time it did it, replacing the battery didn't help. I called Canon and they said to send it in. I sent it into CPS and they sent me a quote for $156 to fix it. The camera is 2 years old so it was out of warranty. I wasn't going to sweat the money since it needed to be cleaned anyway. Fast forward another day and I got a new "revised" estimate for $456. They said when they disassembled the camera they found "internal corrosion" and parts were going to be $300 and some change. I've never spilled anything on the camera, or used it in the rain, or dropped it in water so I was shocked to say the least. Canon says that there is no obvious entry point like they would see in a spill or submersion and it's most likely do to condensation. Has anyone else had this happen? I asked them to send me pics but the photos they sent are low res and honestly, I can't tell if there is any corrosion or not. They say that humidity is the blame, but I have an original Digital Rebel, a 20D thats 7 years old, a 50D, 5D mark II, etc and never had a problem. I actually use my 20D sometimes to shoot in bad weather and it's gotten soaked pretty well but never been a problem. Canon actually states that the 7d has "enhanced weather sealing against dust and moisture" so I don't understand of all my cameras, it's the one with this issue. I'm hesitant to spend $500 to have it fixed. I escalated the issue to Customer Relations because it seems like something isn't right. My gut feeling says that the firmware is what caused the failure, and now Canon is trying to pass it on as something else. I know I've seen a couple of other reports of bricked cameras after the update. Has anyone had this sort of problem "internal corrosion" here?

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates

Real First Name
    Abel
    Camera
    Canon
    Can Others Edit My Photos
    Yes
    Likes Given
    very weird... ive never heard of this issue...

kinda doubtful its a firmware issue tho... that would be a tough sale. usually the corrosion takes a lot longer to set in than just a few days or a week etc..

ugh.
    Abel Longoria
    Check out the NEW Pixtus Photography Cheat Sheet!
    Support Pixtus by Purchasing Your Gear From: B&H Photo | Amazon | Adorama