Real First Name
    Ken
    Camera
    Canon
    Can Others Edit My Photos
    Yes
    Likes Given

Need an app for that: color temperature

anything out there that can tell me the color temp of what available light I attempting to use? (ie, take a pic of something "white", do the numbers, tell me it's 5400k)
    5th Generation Texian.
    "Have you broken any rules today? Why not?" -Ken Whitehead 1997

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates

Real First Name
    Dan
    Camera
    Pinhole
    No
    Likes Given
    Hmm, this would be an interesting task. The camera on say... a phone... has the ability to auto white balance based on what programming would make the camera "think" is neutral (usually the largest object with a high luminance value)...

Color meters operate in the sense that it takes a calibrated number (a control) and then compares it to the sample (i.e. light received through a diffuse layer). I imagine it'd require something like a ba-lens or expodisc, an object that reduces the light to a more even transmittance. Shooting a "white" object isn't always right. Clothing, paper, wall paint... they all may have optical brighteners that fluoresce and may throw off the reading. And "accurate" white isn't always "pleasing" white.

Best bet? If you're going through the trouble of metering color, you might as well shoot a Color Checker and balance in post (if you shoot raw). The only time I've used a color meter was to check the balance of flash tubes (new install vs. burnt in ones) for critical color accuracy using slide film and as a requirement in shooting a microscopy setup.
    Last edited by Daniel W.; 10-03-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    Hasselblads are Fuji!
    dwpblog.notlong.com

Real First Name
    Keith
    Camera
    Sony A99/A7/A900/A100IR/NEX-7
    Yes
    Likes Given
    There are color meters. They are not cheap though. You can use something like an expodisc to custom set your in cam WB based on the lighting. I use one and it is effective.

A phone app would be interesting.
    "Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter". - Ansel Adams
    "If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera." ~Lewis Hine
    "No one cares how hard you worked...but they will notice if you didn't work hard enough." -Ctein

Real First Name
    Stephen
    Camera
    Canon
    No
    Likes Given
    Photo Tools by HCPL for android has lots of tools including a color temp chart
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
    - J. B. Books

Real First Name
    Paco
    Camera
    Nikon
    No
    Likes Given
    A color temperature meter will run you about $1,000 due to the electronics inside it. Not sure you can build an app without the three silicon photodiodes that actually measure the energy for each RGB band. But I have been surprised by what apps can do before!
    -Paco Romero
    website|blog| MM|Facebook
    "Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography."- George Eastman

Real First Name
    Kent
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    My sekonic meter came with a replacement dome. I would think that you could place that over the camera in the iphone (or even better than that would be a piece of frost filter from the Rosco sample pack) and then take a photo.

I can't imagine that the info isnt stored somewhere inside the raw image data that the camera uses to Auto whitebalance?
    Nevermind -- I'll take care of it myself!

Real First Name
    Paco
    Camera
    Nikon
    No
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobick View Post
    My sekonic meter came with a replacement dome. I would think that you could place that over the camera in the iphone (or even better than that would be a piece of frost filter from the Rosco sample pack) and then take a photo.

I can't imagine that the info isnt stored somewhere inside the raw image data that the camera uses to Auto whitebalance?
    Calculating the Kelvin temperature of light and doing auto white balance are different things. The camera algorithms don't compute Kelvin from the light source, but they run algorithms to try to figure out the "correct" white balance. Different vendors use different algorithms. One of them, named Perfect Reflector Method, locates the reference white point by finding the pixel with the greatest luminance value. Other methods exist with different assumptions.

My point is that just because the camera can do some math to change RGB values around an assumed reference point doesn't mean it can spit out the absolute Kelvin number for an illuminant.
    -Paco Romero
    website|blog| MM|Facebook
    "Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography."- George Eastman

Real First Name
    Ken
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by texxter View Post
    A color temperature meter will run you about $1,000 due to the electronics inside it. Not sure you can build an app without the three silicon photodiodes that actually measure the energy for each RGB band. But I have been surprised by what apps can do before!
    That's about what I was thinking, but since these app developers constantly surprise me, I thought it might be lurking out there unbeknownst to me....it wouldn't be the 1st time.

I think the simplified app could get away with some assumptions that:

1) the RGB values should be equal (if you have a decent white or grey target they should be as long as you aren't overexposing so much as to blow thing out)
    2) then the math could start knowing that and computing the differences.

There would be some similarites to AWB but you're right, it isn't quite the same thing.

Obviously this isn't going to be a real meter killer, but just something handy for those weird gym light (et al) situations.
    5th Generation Texian.
    "Have you broken any rules today? Why not?" -Ken Whitehead 1997

Real First Name
    Fred
    Camera
    Canon 7d, Canon t3i, Sony a33
    No
    Likes Given
    I got one for 200 bucks off of craigslist. I love it. It's a Minolta and does the job for me. Try craigslist all the time.

Real First Name
    Björn
    Camera
    Canon 5D mk2
    No
    Likes Given

Arrow

Edit by Abel

This post is against our rules...

http://www.pixtus.com/forum/view.php?pg=rules

10. Commercial Advertising
    Commercial advertising of any sort is not allowed. This includes software developers, manufacturers, online retailers, other photo forums, local stores, studio rentals, services, web designers, affliate codes etc. Companies can not address members questions about a product or service. Commercial company names and such can not be included in your signatures as that is free advertisement the more you post. If you would like information on how to advertise here on the website feel free to contact us using This Link.