Paul
    Camera
    Kodak SLRN
    Can Others Edit My Photos
    No
    Likes Given

10 Questions to ask before signing up for a photo workshop

10 Questions To Ask Before Signing Up For A Photo Workshop Photofocus
    Pretty straight forward but some people just don't think through and cover the ten items that he covers in this article.

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates

Real First Name
    Stacy
    Camera
    Canon 5D Mark II
    No
    Likes Given
    Good article!! Here are a few I would add...

If it's a shooting workshop, ask to see the full wedding proof galleries for several of their most recent weddings. When I was looking for a wedding photographer I looked through some full galleries of some fairly big names, and I was amazingly unimpressed by a lot of them.. If you want to learn how to be a better photographer, find someone who produces hundreds of great images on a regular basis.

If you're taking a business workshop, ask to see their tax returns or profit/loss statements for the past three years. Anyone who is teaching how to run a business should be willing to show proof that their own business is on the right track.

Decide what's most important to you and your business, and find a workshop geared towards that. If you're not making money or have low sales, you probably need a business workshop. If your clients are complaining about their images or you don't feel like your work is up to par, you probably need a photography workshop. If your regular photo business is okay but you want to dive into a new branch of photography, you should take a workshop specific to that genre.

Also, always keep in mind that a workshop is not the only way to learn. There are LOTS of free resources for new photographers to learn and grow, if you're willing to do some research.
    S t a c y R e e v e s
    www.stacyreeves.com || www.racysteeves.com
    Gig 'em Aggies!!!

Real First Name
    Jeff
    Camera
    Nikon D300/D70
    Yes
    Likes Given
    They forgot another question
    "If shooting models, are they purdy? And do they do nekkid?"
    "If you find a job you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life."

Real First Name
    Pete
    Camera
    Canon
    No
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Green View Post
    They forgot another question
    "If shooting models, are they purdy? And do they do nekkid?"
    And this adds what exactly to the discussion?

Real First Name
    Kent
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteQ View Post
    although I think Jeff's post was meant as tongue in cheek, I would think it is an important consideration. "Purdy" could be a way of saying top tier talent. Experienced models will definitely be easier to work with as a beginner allowing the shooter to gain much needed technique in interacting and directing models.

as for "nekkid" -- just a bit more crass way of inquiring whether the shooters will be able to work in the nude genre of photographs.

Adds as much to the discussion as all the other posts as far as I am concerned.
    Nevermind -- I'll take care of it myself!

Real First Name
    Jeff
    Camera
    Nikon D300/D70
    Yes
    Likes Given
    It adds a question to the discussion. You don't think asking if the models will be nekkid is an important thing to find out?

My post was a humorous one, but that is an extremely important thing to find out. Ask the majority of wives of photographer husbands who go to workshops. Would you want to go to a workshop expecting to do high fashion and next thing you know the model is in the buff and you don't get what you were hoping for?

Would you want to go to a workshop hoping to get some fine art nudes and all the model does is up to lingerie?

So what did your post add to the discussion?

Real First Name
    Pete
    Camera
    Canon
    No
    Likes Given
    So what did your post add to the discussion?
    I think my post illustrated very well where the bar is being lowered to these days on TPF. When the gist of your post (tongue in cheek or not) is to ask about girls getting naked in reply to a good reference for those deciding where to spend their workshop dollar I think that about says it all.

Real First Name
    Jeff
    Camera
    Nikon D300/D70
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Pete, it's not like I'm some new guy around here just looking to see some naked girls. I've been around here as long as you have and we basically have the same number of posts.

You come into this thread and added nothing but being off topic. Would you care to add to the thread or do you just want to continue being pompous and condescending?

Oh, another question to ask:
    "Will there be donuts and coffee??"
    Last edited by Jeff_Green; 04-14-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: misreading or lack of ability to read.

Real First Name
    Pete
    Camera
    Canon
    No
    Likes Given
    Pete, it's not like I'm some new guy around here just looking to see some naked girls. I've been around here as long as you have and we basically have the same number of posts.

You come into this thread and added nothing but being off topic. Would you care to add to the thread or do you just want to continue being pompous and condescending?

Oh, another question to ask:
    "Will there be donuts and coffee??"
    Jeff, I didn't say you were new.
    And mine was off topic? Your post was inappropriate at best. I called you on it because I thought it was out of line for TPF.
    As for how you perceive my posts, well there is nothing I can do about that, some folks actually think I am witty and fun to be with. (I know, tough to believe right?)
    And asking if meals or snacks are provided is always a good idea for a workshop, I agree with you on that!

Now as for my thoughts, I think between the article and Stacy's comments a person would be off to a great start. Way too many people spend way too much money on workshops from people who know little more than how to separate a fool and their money. I was that fool once early on and have learned well and had I seen an article like the OP posted (and Stacy followed up on) perhaps I would have a few extra bucks lying around. But in the end, I guess that crap "workshop" taught me how to avoid making that mistake again... YMMV

Real First Name
    Jason
    Camera
    Canon
    No
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by stacyreeves View Post
    If you're taking a business workshop, ask to see their tax returns or profit/loss statements for the past three years. Anyone who is teaching how to run a business should be willing to show proof that their own business is on the right track.
    But some businesses are really good at maximizing their deductions, so this would have to be taken with a grain of salt. The best business workshop would show a high net income and a low gross income.

Real First Name
    Richard
    Camera
    Nikon D300
    No
    Likes Given
    humor?

vs an arguementative statement

Real First Name
    Pete
    Camera
    Canon
    No
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by photonewb View Post
    humor?

vs an arguementative statement
    Exactly my point. TPF used to be about adding pertinent information and it becoming more and more a haven for low-brow humor and juvenile commentary.

Working our way to photo.net status....

Let's let this get back on topic and for those wondering what the heck I am talking about can read more here:
    Last edited by PeteQ; 04-14-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added old thread link

Real First Name
    Justin
    Camera
    Canon 5D Mk II
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Exactly my point. TPF used to be about adding pertinent information and it becoming more and more a haven for low-brow humor and juvenile commentary.

Working our way to photo.net status....

Let's let this get back on topic and for those wondering what the heck I am talking about can read more here:
    But I like low-brow humor AND juvenile commentary!

Why so serious?
    -JG

Real First Name
    Jeff
    Camera
    Nikon D300/D70
    Yes
    Likes Given
    I'm just happy that something I said was finally classified as "humorous"!!!

I love you all and if you had a workshop with nekkid girls, I might attend if there were donuts.

Account Banned DEMDeepEllumMusic's Avatar
    Real First Name
    Paul
    Camera
    Kodak SLRN
    No
    Likes Given
    Jeeze if it is a Wildlife workshop I would hope all of the Deer and Bears ARE NEKID! (also the birds)

The comment about seeing their income statements to me is a bit off, I would rather see a portfolio of their works and hopefully some of their shots pre-photoshop to see what their eye catches and what they can teach me in the manner of catching that subject.

I agree with Pete that there are some people who do lousy workshops out there and no-one will speak up on how bad they are. I would say the best workshop that I took was over a decade ago and lasted a full week in the 4 corners area where 2 very good landscape shooters took up to a dozen of us out to shoot and they did an interesting hands on technique on the first day. Day one they had a set down and talked to us about what they hoped to do for the next 3 days (workshop was a 3 day and a 4 day session with some people doing either part and some both) and then took us to the first location and told us to look around and shoot. After we decided what we were going to shoot we were told to set up our tripods (we were told to bring tripods with us) and to compose our shots but not to shoot. They then went to each person looked at the scene then looked through the camera and gave us tips on how to better compose our shots or they would even give praise if we saw something that they had not (they had scouted the locations all before the workshop so knew pretty much what to expect). It was a great hands on experience while I have been at other workshops that were a total joke and I would have been better off doing my own thing since the workshop brought nothing to help improve anyone other than a first timers photo skills.

I just saw the article and thought that it would be of interest here, the guy who writes the blog has some good insights. (if you tweet it is worth following him!)