Real First Name
    Brian
    Camera
    Canon & Nikon
    Can Others Edit My Photos
    Yes
    Likes Given

Drobo Smack Down

At this moment someone in Drobo management is blowing their Wheaties out their nose.

I’m Done with drobo | Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider

I’ve finally reached the point that I’m done with my drobo, which I use for the archiving of my photos. I actually use three drobos: one in my office, one in Brad’s office (onsite backup), and one at home (offsite backup). Now sadly I’m going to have to move to a different platform altogether because drobo finally pushed me to the point of no return.
    Purveyor of Quality, Handcrafted Pixels

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates

Real First Name
    Sonny
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Yikes. Thanks for the post.

Real First Name
    Steve
    Camera
    SONY @850, @77
    Yes
    Likes Given
    I use the Synology ds411j, with 4 3TB drives and could not be happier. In fact the latest update allows for personal cloud.

Real First Name
    Sonny
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by slallen View Post
    I use the Synology ds411j, with 4 3TB drives and could not be happier. In fact the latest update allows for personal cloud.
    To better help our members would everyone mind elaborating about your storage devices? Thanks!

• What you like/love about it?
    • What do you not like/love about it?
    • Cost of your device?
    • What type of RAID?
    • Anything else you might deem helpful information.

Real First Name
    Charles
    Camera
    Nikon
    No
    Likes Given
    Sounds like the infamous Iomega "click of death"
    "Work is for people who don't know how to surf"

Nikon D7100, 18-200 4.5/5.6, 70-300 4.5-5.6, 50 1.4, SB800
    MacBook Pro 15", Aperture 3, Lightroom 5, Photoshop CC, Nik Collection

Real First Name
    Steve
    Camera
    SONY @850, @77
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Fair enough.

The thing I like/love the most is its ease of setup and use. The unit does without the os installed but the Synology assistant finds and loads it pretty quickly. Once it reboots you can hit it with a browser. The DSM (Disk Station Manager) is an excellent web based application that allows you to do anything you could possibly need to do via the browser. You can go to their website and try the online DSM demo. Best way to see what this rig can do. You can also set it up to use ssh/telnet for access, if that is you cup of tea. The unit is quiet compared the the Iomega unit I had (NEVER again).

I use this mainly as a media server/photo storage unit. As a media/music server is supports DLNA/UPnP and allows for remote access. I connect to it via my iPhone (app) or via a web browser to stream music when I am away from the house. It supports network backup as well as time machine/capsule. Can even do timed backups if you wish to set a schedule up. There are several applications built into the unit such as a Photo Server (nice gallery service that is shareable), Media Server, Audio Server, iTunes Sever, Web Server, FTP, Mail Server (has web mail access), print server, and with the recent update allows for the creation of a personal cloud server. There is even 3rd party installable applications. The list goes on.

Currently my configuration is using their Hybrid RAID, yes I know it is a proprietary format, but it was the best option at the time. This will allow for one drive to fail (assuming you have more than one in it) and all the data will still be fine. It also lets the drives to be different models/sizes, which isn't compatible with regular RAID. You can also hang addition drives off the USB ports and they will be available on the network. One nice feature here is that the device will backup to the external drive on a defined schedule.

I paid 359 for the DS411j and 150 each for 2 - 2tb WD Green drives have since added 2 more 3TB WD Green drives. (The difference is because the order was done when drives were dang near impossible to get due to the floods in Taiwan.)

Overall, I am very pleased with my Synology DS411J. Highly recommend it for personal/home use.

http://www.synology.com/products/pro...g=us#p_submenu
    Last edited by slallen; 06-15-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added link

Real First Name
    Steve
    Camera
    SONY @850, @77
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Charles, That is what happened to my Iomega. Still have it in the closet and at some point I hope to pull the drives and see if they can be recovered.

Real First Name
    Sonny
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by slallen View Post
    Fair enough.

The thing I like/love the most is its ease of setup and use. The unit does without the os installed but the Synology assistant finds and loads it pretty quickly. Once it reboots you can hit it with a browser. The DSM (Disk Station Manager) is an excellent web based application that allows you to do anything you could possibly need to do via the browser. You can go to their website and try the online DSM demo. Best way to see what this rig can do. You can also set it up to use ssh/telnet for access, if that is you cup of tea. The unit is quiet compared the the Iomega unit I had (NEVER again).

I use this mainly as a media server/photo storage unit. As a media/music server is supports DLNA/UPnP and allows for remote access. I connect to it via my iPhone (app) or via a web browser to stream music when I am away from the house. It supports network backup as well as time machine/capsule. Can even do timed backups if you wish to set a schedule up. There are several applications built into the unit such as a Photo Server (nice gallery service that is shareable), Media Server, Audio Server, iTunes Sever, Web Server, FTP, Mail Server (has web mail access), print server, and with the recent update allows for the creation of a personal cloud server. There is even 3rd party installable applications. The list goes on.

Currently my configuration is using their Hybrid RAID, yes I know it is a proprietary format, but it was the best option at the time. This will allow for one drive to fail (assuming you have more than one in it) and all the data will still be fine. It also lets the drives to be different models/sizes, which isn't compatible with regular RAID. You can also hang addition drives off the USB ports and they will be available on the network. One nice feature here is that the device will backup to the external drive on a defined schedule.

I paid 359 for the DS411j and 150 each for 2 - 2tb WD Green drives have since added 2 more 3TB WD Green drives. (The difference is because the order was done when drives were dang near impossible to get due to the floods in Taiwan.)

Overall, I am very pleased with my Synology DS411J. Highly recommend it for personal/home use.

Synology Network Attached Storage - DS411j Products
    Thanks Steve!

Real First Name
    Ken
    Camera
    Nikon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Steve - with the DS411J, can you have 2 pairs of RAID 1 in the same enclosure?

Real First Name
    Steve
    Camera
    SONY @850, @77
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Yes. The drives are fully configurable.

Supported RAID Type : Synology Hybrid RAID, Basic, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 5+Spare, RAID 6, RAID 10
    RAID Migration : Basic to RAID 1, Basic to RAID 5, Basic to RAID 5+Spare, RAID 1 to RAID 5, RAID 1 to RAID 5+Spare, RAID 5 to RAID 5+Spare, RAID 5 to RAID 6
    Volume Expansion with Larger HDDs : RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 5+Spare, RAID 6

Here is the spec page. Synology Network Attached Storage - DS411j Products Specifications

Volume Expansion by Adding a HDD : RAID 5, RAID 5+Spare, RAID 6

Real First Name
    Sonny
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    The DS411 line is all USB2.0. I would have to get the DS412+ for USB3.0, which I really want to faster data transfer speeds. A lot of the reviews are very positive and include former Drobo users.

Real First Name
    Ken
    Camera
    Nikon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    I ask as i'm looking to setup 2 RAID 1's, each RAID would have diff roles. I'll dig a bit more

Real First Name
    Steve
    Camera
    SONY @850, @77
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Yep the 412 was not around when I bought mine. I hooked up a USB drive just as a test and to transfer some old data to the box. Worked fine for my purposes. I was originally looking at the Drobo when my Iomega crashed and burned. It was the reviews that sent me to the Synology line.

Ken - from what I am looking at in the DSM it should be completely capable to do what you are needing. You define the volumes, what disks are to be used in the volumes and partitions on them. Mine is broken into two volumes (may change it later) 1 volume is setup with the 2 2tb drives and the other is made of 2 3tb drives.

Real First Name
    Tom
    Camera
    GoPro2
    No
    Likes Given
    OWC Mercury Pro Qx2 4-Bay RAID 0/1/5/10 eSATA, FireWire 400/800, USB2 Desktop Removable Bay Storage Solution - up to 16.0TB
    This is my setup.

Four 3TB drives striped in RAID 5 format, for 9TB of usable space. Wish it was Thunderbolt or USB 3.0, but I only have Thunderbolt on two of the five computers we use and I don't have USB 3.0 on any of them. So not a huge thing to miss out on. I have FW800 on all my computers.

Real First Name
    Ken
    Camera
    Nikon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Tom - thanks, i'll have to keep that in mind.

I guess I need to determine what my workflow would be.

Import to internal ssd, replicate to external HDD/RAID device, cull/develop on internal SSD, export as catalog to HDD/RAID device and external HDD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast