Real First Name
    Autumn
    Camera
    Nikon D300s
    Can Others Edit My Photos
    No
    Likes Given

Cropping on MPIX

When I am trying to order my pictures on MPIX it makes you crop every photo...how do I get around this? It hacks off soooo much of what my picture is it totally changes the image even when I am trying to print 11x14 pictures!! Is this the only site that does this...is there somewhere else to go that doesn't do this???
    http://www.dash-photography.net

"For all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be"-Pink Floyd

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates

Real First Name
    David
    Camera
    Nikon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    I am sure someone will explain this better but its due to the Crop Factor you need to crop the picture in PS or some other image editor. All sites have to do it. Unless you shoot a Full Frame Camera then cropping is a must. I shoot a D200 and if I want to print a FULL image. I have to print an 8 x 12 instead of an 8 x 10 hope this helps a little
    Stuff
    Golden Retriever name Gus
    Dodge Ram (ya its a Hemi) | Ever Been to Wrigley ??? | http://www.prestagephoto.com

Real First Name
    Wes
    Camera
    Nikon D3
    Yes
    Likes Given
    For the most part, when you shoot with a DSLR (full frame included) all of your images are captured in 3:2 format. Unless you want to print nothing buy 4x6's (or some multiple thereof, i.e. 8x12, 12x18, etc.) you're going to have to crop. It has nothing to do with MPIX. You cannot print a 3:2 image as an 8x10, 5x7, 11x14, etc. without cropping. It's impossible.

The only DSLR that I know of that will allow you to print a 5:4 (8x10, 16x10, etc.) print without cropping is the D3 (and probably the D700), and that's only if you shoot the image in 5:4 mode.
    Nikon D3 | 28-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR | 200-400 f/4 VR | 50 f/1.4 | TC-14E II | SB-800 | SB-600

"A child is not likely to find a Father in God unless he finds something of God in his father." - Unknown

Real First Name
    LaShawn
    Camera
    Canon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    I always crop them myself in PS to have complete control over where the crop hits...but yea, you have to crop them.
    LaShawn
    "I would like to be the ideal mother, but I am too busy raising my children."
    Blog Flickr

Real First Name
    Peter
    Camera
    Nikon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Thus the reason why photographers have croplines installed.
    Putting the Ahh! in Photography.
    There are two types of photographers; those that get it right in the camera and those that waste a hell of a lot of time in Photoshop.

Real First Name
    Autumn
    Camera
    Nikon D300s
    No
    Likes Given
    OK, that makes sense I guess in a way LOL. So do I need to print an odd size to get the picture I really want?? I am aiming for 11x14 Thanks

Real First Name
    John
    Camera
    5DMkII, 7D, X100S
    No
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerouslyMoody View Post
    OK, that makes sense I guess in a way LOL. So do I need to print an odd size to get the picture I really want?? I am aiming for 11x14 Thanks
    Crop to that size in post, and you'll be good to go.
    John Tucker
    My 500px Gallery

Real First Name
    Peter
    Camera
    Nikon
    Yes
    Likes Given
    Depends, but probably not, if your composition requires a border to border to border to border. As is illustrated in the croplines site's pix, depending on the papersize you select, the portion outside the cropline will be cut off as the printer blows up the image to fill the page. The only way to get the image you cropped in the camera is to select a paper size of the same ratio. Otherwise, you will need to add a border, filling out the borders so the printer is not printing white space. Here's an example. If I were to send the picture as composed in the camera (2:3 ratio) to the printer, they would lop off the front and back of the firetruck, and perhaps the fire fighters. So a border was added before I sent it to the lab for printing on a 16x20 (4:5 ratio).
    There are two types of photographers; those that get it right in the camera and those that waste a hell of a lot of time in Photoshop.

Real First Name
    Autumn
    Camera
    Nikon D300s
    No
    Likes Given
    How do you know what the ratio is...I know probably a dumb question...

Also, I am not good in post processing, but I have both LR2 (beta) and PSE 5...could I do the cropping there??

Real First Name
    John
    Camera
    5DMkII, 7D, X100S
    No
    Likes Given

Also, I am not good in post processing, but I have both LR2 (beta) and PSE 5...could I do the cropping there??
    What is your camera's native image size (put your cursor over an image in the film strip in LR to see)?

Yes, you can crop in either program.
    John Tucker
    My 500px Gallery

Real First Name
    Peter
    Camera
    Nikon
    Yes
    Likes Given

There are no dumb questions here.
    The ratio is probably 2:3, but you can determine it by taking the pixels sizes of the height and divide by the width. If you get .66666666666, that would be 2:3 or 2/3rds.
    And yes, you can crop in LR or PSE. I'll let someone else tell you about LR, but in PSE, find your crop tool, then in the options at the top, either choose a preset ratio, or type in your own height and width. Its been a while but if PSE 5 has a resolution in pixels or something, see if you can leave it blank, otherwise you will repixilate the image, adding a degree of image degradation. Then just click and drag over the image from edge to edge with the tool, and it will stay locked in the aspect ratio you select.

Account Removed Per User Request canoflan's Avatar
    Real First Name
    Pat
    Camera
    Canon
    No
    Likes Given
    Always crop before sending to the printer. If you find that you are not leaving enough room in the original framing in camera for your preferred cropping, then you need to adjust your photo taking to accomodate. No getting around this. This is why often pros shoot with more in the frame than they prefer to allow for cropping flexibility at print time.
    Pat

Real First Name
    Autumn
    Camera
    Nikon D300s
    No
    Likes Given
    Cool! I will try this when I get home tongiht! Thanks :)